Thursday, May 27, 2010

Commercial Drive - East Vancouver Chiropractor; Dr. Dominic Chan DC - "Who's the 'Typical' Chiropractic Patient?"



When I look at my practice, it seems to me that I can identify a 'typical' Chiropractic patient. Now of course it wouldn't be fair to generalize but I do believe there is a pattern. Following up on this, it seems that I'm not the only one. Stumbling across some research, it seems that others have also asked this very question and this is some of the tid-bits they came up with.

The 'Typical' Chiropractic patient is;

- Female
- Between the ages of 30-49
- Well educated, with chances being good of a post-secondary education.
- Often has researched her health-care options
- Top three health related searches are for;
a) Disease and Conditions (60%)
b) Medical Treatments and procedures (47%)
c) Vitamins, minerals and supplements (44%)

Now adding to that, I'd like to share some personal insights on the general trends I see in my practice.

Most of my patients are in seek of pain/symptom relief (Over 90%). I do have some patients that see me without any complaints. But they realize the benefits of Chiropractic and are looking to maintain their health and vitality. (A few of these patients have described it to me like getting a 'tune-up' for their bodies)

I would estimate that about 70% of my patients are at least mildly active. Meaning they do get out to participate in activities like walking, biking and regular exercise. This last trend is very important to me because I prescribe stretches and exercise for 100% of my patients!

I like to use this analogy a lot because it's so simple and implicit that there's little ambiguity here. I often ask my patients if they brush their teeth? Almost everyone says yes, many saying twice a day. Then I proceed to ask them why? The natural response is, "Well, it's good for me and it prevents cavities and other problems from occurring". Exactly correct!!

However consider this, you could conceivably go for days without eating and using your teeth. But, you could not go for days without using your muscles, joints and spine. So, the question is, "Why do most people take better care of their teeth, than they do their bodies?"

Encouraging a healthy lifestyle for all my patients is very important to me. Luckily for me, most of my patients understand the connection between healthy habits and a healthy body. This is paramount to me because most of my patients will not receive this kind of lifestyle advice from any of their health-care providers on a regular basis.

If you have questions regarding how Chiropractic could help you, CONTACT YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVE - EAST VANCOUVER CHIROPRACTOR; DR. DOMINIC CHAN DC HERE!!!

No comments: