Thursday, November 25, 2010

Commercial Drive - East Vancouver Chriopractor; Dr. Dominic Chan DC; "Once Your Pain is Gone, Do You Need to Keep Seeing a Chiropractor??....."


In short, I would say 'Yes' it's absolutely a good idea!' But to those who ask this question, please think about this, "How often do you see your dentist every year? and do you only go to see your dentist if you have pain?"

"If I feel better and no longer have pain, why should I continue with Chiropractic care?". This is an age old question that many patients have about Chiropractic care. I know of patients who's previous Chiropractors have recommended 'maintenance care'. Often involving treatments 2-3 times/week for months and gradually tapering off from there. Many see the rationale behind this approach and still many others believe this is far too much treatment. 


Here's my honest opinion about this topic. I believe Dentists have it right. Sure some people will only see a dentist if there's pain but many others follow the recommendation of a visit every 6 months. But why? Well because of PREVENTION! A regular check up will help to identify problems with your teeth before things get really bad. Isn't it better to spot a cavity early and have a minor filling done instead of extracting the entire tooth?

But here's where Dentists really excel. Everybody knows to brush their teeth daily! Often times twice a day! This message is so ingrained in society that no one even questions it. People just do it out of habit because, wait for it..........THEY KNOW IT'S GOOD FOR THEM! Even though, you only really use your teeth for minutes a day while you're eating, you still brush religiously.

However consider this, on any given day, when are you NOT using your body, muscles, spine and joints for movement? You're even using your muscles when you're sitting using  your laptop! So what are you doing on a daily basis to keep your body, bones, muscles and joints healthy? Chances are not that much.

I see many patients who are new to Chiropractic and in my clinic I do my best to educate them about health. More importantly, the idea that HEALTH is much more than a lack of pain! I work with my patients  to devise a sensible treatment plan with re-evaluations scheduled at regular intervals. This is important because we need to track progress and offer the best, most complete care possible. In addition, we need to evaluate how successfully Chiropractic care is working for them. Is it still the best option three weeks from now? Would Physiotherapy or Massage Therapy be better? You can only answers these questions with confidence if you have been keeping track of a patient's progress.

In addition, I believe in promoting healthy habits like stretching and exercise from the first day of treatment if indicated. Just like a Dentist emphasizing the importance of brushing to keep your teeth healthy, a person should be active to keep their entire body healthy! I think as a Chiropractor, it is my duty to show my patients that they can do a lot to stay healthy and pain free on their own.  Once my patients get better about making stretching and exercises a regular habit, I encourage them to decrease the frequency of Chiropractic treatments! Everyone benefits. 


I have patients who see me for follow up care once a month, once every other month, even twice a year! I help my patients decide what frequency is right for them if they are already practicing healthy habits on their own.


Moral of the story is, "Yes, regular Chiropractic care is helpful even if you don't have pain but the ultimate choice lies with you!". No one said getting healthy and staying healthy was easy, if it was, everybody walking around would be healthy. If your Chiropractor recommends a treatment plan that you feel is excessive, make sure you know why. Ask questions! Any Chiropractor should welcome patient involvement in their treatment and if you feel like your concerns aren't being addressed, maybe that's a concern in itself.


Any questions about this post? In the Commercial Drive neighborhood of East Vancouver? Contact Dr. Chan here,COMMERCIAL DRIVE - EAST VANCOUVER; DR. DOMINIC CHAN DC!!!

No comments: